Prep Time: 20 Mins
Cook Time: 3 Mins
Total Time: 23 Mins
- 16 baguette or ciabatta slices, diagonally cut for larger slices
- 3/4 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped California walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican seasoning blend
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 3/4 cup sliced small grape tomatoes (preferably red and yellow)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, plus additional for garnish if desired
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 avocado, firm and ripe, mashed
- California walnuts, chopped and toasted as garnish
- On a large baking sheet place baguette slices in a single layer. Toss cheese with walnuts and seasoning and press equal amounts very firmly onto each baguette slice. Coat liberally with cooking spray.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. In a skillet carefully place baguette slices with cheese side down and cook for 3 minutes or until cheese is golden brown around the edges. Turn and cook 30 seconds more. (Cook in batches if necessary.)
- Toss tomato slices with oil, lime juice, cilantro and garlic salt. Marinate for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl mash avocado and drizzle with half the tomato marinade.
- Spread equal amounts of mashed marinated avocado onto bread slices. Top with tomatoes and walnuts. Sprinkle with additional cilantro, if desired.