I love soup weather. It is probably my favorite time of the year. The smell of soup cooking and that cup of hot soup and any reason to have sourdough bread.
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 8 ounces red potatoes (about 2 medium), chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey or chicken
- In a saucepan, combine rice and water; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium heat. Add potatoes, onion, celery and carrot; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until almost tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in flour until blended; cook and stir 2 minutes. Gradually stir in broth and undrained rice. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Add cream, salt and rosemary; return to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in turkey; heat through.