- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 4-1/2 cups sliced peeled peaches
- Dough for double-crust pie
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a large bowl, combine sugars; add peaches and toss gently. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate or iron skillet.Trim even with rim. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Drain peaches, reserving juice. In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt; gradually stir in reserved juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice and butter. Gently fold in peaches. Pour into crust.
- Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; cut into 1-1/2-in.-wide strips. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal strips to edge of bottom crust; flute edge. Cover edge loosely with foil. Bake 40 minutes; remove foil. Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 10-20 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack. If desired, serve with vanilla ice cream.
You can use canned peach just make sure they are drained. If you use frozen make sure they are completely thawed and drained.