2 eggs whites
2 tsp cornstarch
juice of half a lemon
1/2 cup regular bread crumbs
1/2 Italian bread crumbs
1 Tbs chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
zest of one lemon
3 Tbs shallots, minced
3/4 cup mushrooms, sliced
½ cup dry white wine
½ cup heavy cream
½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 Tbs (½ stick) cold unsalted butter, cubed
2 Tbs minced fresh sage
salt, white pepper, and cayenne to taste
1. Preheat oven to 450°. Blend egg whites, cornstarch, and lemon juice with a fork in a wide, shallow dish; set aside.
2. Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan, parsley, salt, pepper, and lemon zest in a second wide, shallow dish. Crust chicken breast by dredging first through egg mixture, then bread crumb mixture.
3. Sauté chicken in olive oil in a large, nonstick, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. Carefully turn with a spatula, and transfer the skillet to the oven to finish cooking. Roast chicken just until done, about 8 more minutes.
4. Sauté shallots in 1 Tbs butter in a small saucepan over medium heat just until soft, 2-3 minutes.
5. Add wine, cream broth, and lemon juice. Simmer until reduced by half, 8-20 minutes.
6. Whisk in butter, 1 Tbs at a time, stirring constantly. Do not add more butter until previous addition has melted completely.
7. Add mushrooms and heat through. Finish sauce with sage, add seasonings. Keep warm in a water bath until ready to serve.
1. Serve over spaghetti noodles or with roasted potatoes.
2. Exchange the Parmesan for crushed pecans, serve in a roasted tomato wrap with fresh greens and homemade honey-mustard dressing!