PREP TIME:0 hours 5 mins
TOTAL TIME:0 hours 20 mins
3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
10 oz. cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 sprigs fresh mint
2 tbsp. finely chopped shallot
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/2 c. hearty red wine, such as Chianti
4 wide slices crusty bread, about 8 inches across
1 c. shredded fontina cheese (about 4 ounces), preferably Val d’Aosta
2 sprigs fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
Freshly ground black pepper
- Position oven rack 6 inches from broiler heat source; heat broiler on high. Heat 2 tablespoon oil in large skillet on medium-high.
- Add mushrooms, thyme and mint and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms give off juices and begin to brown, about 6 minutes. Add shallot and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in wine and simmer until almost completely reduced, about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- On broiler-safe baking sheet, drizzle bread with about 1 tablespoon oil. Toast bread in broiler 1 minute; turn and lightly toast other side, about 30 seconds. Divide fontina evenly over bread; broil until cheese is melted and crust is browned, about 1 minute.
- Remove and discard herb sprigs from mushroom mixture. Transfer bread to cutting board; top with mushroom mixture. Cut each slice in half vertically to make 8 pieces; top with fresh thyme sprig, if desired. Serve immediately.