Prep Time: 20 Mins
Cook Time: 25 Mins
Total Time: 45 Mins
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 8 ounces shredded sharp or extra sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped California walnuts
- 1/4 cup finely crushed croutons
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- Garlic salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli, cut into 1-inch spears
- California walnuts, chopped and toasted (garnish)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a small baking sheet with foil and coat liberally with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl stir together 1/2 cup cheese, walnuts and croutons. Spread evenly on baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool.
- In a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add flour and cook 1 more minute. Slowly stir in milk and broth, cooking until smooth. Reduce heat to low and add cheese a small handful at a time, cooking just until melted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Steam or boil broccoli until tender and drain well. Transfer to 9-inch casserole dish and top with cheese sauce. Crumble topping over broccoli. Sprinkle with additional walnuts, if desired.