- 3 lb. boneless stewing beef, cut into 1-inch
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 lb. new potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 Tbs. tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
In a large bowl, toss the beef with the flour, salt and pepper to coat evenly. Set an electric pressure cooker to “brown” according to the manufacturer’s instructions and warm the olive oil. Add half the beef and brown on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat with the remaining beef and transfer to the bowl.
Add the wine to the pressure cooker and bring to a simmer, stirring to scrape up the browned bits. Add the beef, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, potatoes, tomato paste, stock and thyme and stir to combine. Cover and cook on “high” for 20 minutes according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Release the pressure according to the manufacturer’s instructions. If the liquid is too thin, transfer the beef and vegetables to a serving bowl, set the pressure cooker to “brown” and cook until the liquid is reduced to the desired consistency. Pour the liquid over the beef and vegetables and serve immediately. Serves 6.