- 1 1/2 lb. collard greens, washed
- 1 1/2 lb. kale, washed
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp. crushed red pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. distilled white vinegar
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 3 tbsp. chow chow or pickle relish
- Kosher salt
- Remove tough stems from greens and kale. Roll leaves up tightly into cigar shape and thinly slice.
- In 12-quart saucepot, heat olive oil on medium. Add onion; cook 6 to 8 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- To pot, add greens, red pepper, garlic, vinegar, sugar and 1/2 cup water. Cook 20 to 25 minutes or until greens are tender, stirring occasionally. If greens seem dry, add additional 1/4 cups water.
- Stir in relish, 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
Tips: You can use any kind of greens you like…..turnip even mustard or all of them.