Mint Julep Day May 30, 2016
- MINT SYRUP:
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups loosely packed chopped fresh mint
- EACH SERVING:
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup crushed ice
- 1/2 to 1 ounce bourbon
- Mint sprig
- For syrup, combine the sugar, water and chopped mint in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook until sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature.
- Line a mesh strainer with a double layer of cheesecloth or a coffee filter. Strain syrup; discard mint. Cover and refrigerate syrup for at least 2 hours or until chilled.
- For each serving, place ice in a metal julep cup or rocks glass. Pour 1/4 cup mint syrup and bourbon into the glass; stir until mixture is well chilled. Garnish with mint sprig. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 cups syrup).