1 (3 1/2-lb.) cut-up whole chicken
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 plus 1/8 teaspoon pepper, divided
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 medium sweet onion, halved, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch wedges (1 1/4 cups)
6 large garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup white wine or lower-sodium chicken broth
8 thin carrots, 2 inches of tops attached (halved lengthwise if thick)
8 unpeeled small red new potatoes (1- to 1 1/2-inches), halved (quartered if large)
4 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon, divided
8 oz. asparagus, cut diagonally into 2-inch pieces (1 1/2 cups)
4 oz. sugar snap peas, halved lengthwise (1 1/2 cups)
1. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Heat large deep skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil; heat until hot. Cook chicken in batches, 6 to 8 minutes or until browned on all sides, turning occasionally; remove chicken.
2. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil and onion to skillet; cook over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes or until beginning to soften, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook and stir 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add wine; bring to a boil, stirring to scrape up any browned bits on bottom of skillet.
3. Return chicken and any accumulated juices to skillet. Arrange carrots and potatoes over chicken; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the tarragon. Cover; simmer over medium-low heat 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are almost tender.
4. Add asparagus and peas; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the tarragon and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Cover; continue cooking 5 to 8 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center, carrots and potatoes are tender and asparagus and peas are crisp-tender. Remove chicken to platter; surround with vegetables.
5. Bring juices in skillet to a boil over high heat. Boil 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly thickened; pour over chicken and vegetables. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon tarragon.
PER SERVING: 425 calories, 20.5 g total fat (5 g saturated fat), 35 g protein, 24 g carbohydrate, 100 mg cholesterol, 535 mg sodium, 5 g fiber